Plant Process Control Metallurgist
Dana is a global leader in the supply of highly engineered driveline, sealing, and thermal-management technologies that improve the efficiency and performance of vehicles with both conventional and alternative-energy powertrains. Serving three primary markets – passenger vehicle, commercial truck, and off-highway equipment – Dana provides the world's original-equipment manufacturers and the aftermarket with local product and service support through a network of nearly 100 engineering, manufacturing, and distribution facilities.
The Plant Process Control Metallurgist exhibits these behaviors:
- Collaborate and lead the associates in area through coaching, engagement, communication, morale building and teaming.
- Engage, coach, and train your team and associates to continuously improve the Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost goals of the business
- Drive action wherever needed to resolve urgent issues
- Be a key team member in implementation of Dana Operating Excellence (OOE) process
- Escalate actions needed to achieve OOE implementation goals
- Team with other Metallurgical Engineer, Area Managers, Union Stewards, Support personnel and other Leadership to constructively solve operational issues that both meet the business goals and the intent of the current contract
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Engage with Engineers to develop acceptable methods of manufacturing at minimum costs
- Work with other Metallurgist, MET lab operations, lab technicians and provide the technical support to the heat treatment operations, metallurgical process controls and other areas as needed
- Develop and validate process parameters for new product launches to ensure compliance to customer, engineering, and quality requirements
- Conduct studies of metals and alloys to determine their physical characteristics for manufacturing purposes or determine compliance with manufacturing specifications and standards
- Apply knowledge of metallurgy to recommend engineering and manufacturing changes to attain design objectives in the most economical manner possible
- Work with customers to make sure their expectations are being met and exceeded
- Conduct failure analysis and provide complete reports
- Provide support to Sales and Purchasing departments - Interpreting standards, proposing materials and processes, qualifying new suppliers, resolving material or quality issues, etc.
- Responsible for communicating metrics and ensuring understanding and ownership at the production team level
- Team with support groups such as EHS, Quality Assurance, Engineering and Planning to escalate and improve urgent issues as well as drive continuous improvement
- Works with the Safety Department to monitor safety compliance and to review and plan for special requirements on incoming jobs
Aid in regular audits of the department to ensure proper safety and environmental practices are being followed
- Assure the proper training of all department personnel
- Ability to understand and follow applicable company and regulatory safety and environmental procedures
- Ability to understand and correctly utilize appropriate PPE equipment as required
- All other duties as assigned by Management
Knowledge & Skills Summary:
- Experience in ferrous heat treating/manufacturing required (2-4 years desirable)
- A background in Metal components, Foundry, Forging, machine shop, assembly operation and customer problem solving is desirable.
- Experience in supporting component manufacturing for vehicle (automotive, heavy truck or off-highway) applications is preferred
- Previous experience in a NADCAP, IATF or CQI9 compliant operating system in a heat treatment shop is required
- Statistical knowledge, knowledge of PPAP and FMEA would be highly valuable
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing preferred
- Experience with AS 400 system helpful
- Ability to travel to customer sites (infrequently)
- Must be available to work flexible hours and weekends
- Experience in a multi-shift operation with emphasis in a union environment is desired
- Familiar with computers, Microsoft Office Suite, ERP, Minitab, Blueprints Reading,
- Some Drafting experience is desired
Education and Work Experience:
- BS degree in Metallurgy or Materials Science
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per Dana policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters were engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that Dana will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.?