Dana is a global leader in the supply of highly engineered driveline, sealing, and thermal-management technologies that improve the efficiency and performance of vehicles with both conventional and alternative-energy powertrains. Serving three primary markets – passenger vehicle, commercial truck, and off-highway equipment – Dana provides the world's original-equipment manufacturers and the aftermarket with local product and service support through a network of nearly 100 engineering, manufacturing, and distribution facilities.
A Machinist demonstrates these competencies:
- Successfully commits him/herself and completes all training requirements to continuously improve his/her skills.
- Demonstrates independent decision-making skills on day to day production tasks that steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Prepared and receptive mind that looks toward the broadest possible view of an issue/challenge.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment that enjoys hard work.
- Adds value to the team by immersing him/herself in challenges and comes up with new and unique ideas for solutions.
A Machinist exhibits these behaviors:
- The Machinist is responsible for daily verification and maintenance of manufacturing equipment and ensures appropriate records are updated/maintained. Inspects, completes and coordinates maintenance of manufacturing equipment which may include mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, or pneumatic systems.
- Plans, coordinates and performs installation, setups of machinery.
- Tests and adjusts as needed. Diagnoses and repairs malfunctioning equipment.
- Recommends and implements process improvements. Updates required documentation including maintenance and repair logs. Reads and interprets equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service.
- Machinist will set up and operate conventional, special purpose and computer numerical control machines and machining centers to machine metal parts by performing the following tasks and responsibilities.
- Implement sequences of operations and machine setup requirements.
- Operate CNC gear machines, including setup, adjustments, operating numeric control and computer numeric controlled turning and machining centers.
- Could perform a variety of operations such as turning, boring, drilling, milling, reaming, taping, threading, etc. to produce close-tolerance parts.
- Setup, adjust, and operate a variety of gear hobbing, shaping, grinding, and sawing machines producing close tolerance gears, splines, and pinions.
- Study blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work-piece, sequences of operations, and setup requirements.
- Select, align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, jig borers, grinders and shapers to perform precision machining operations.
- Calculate, set and monitor controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enter commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
- Start and observe machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
- Maintain equipment by performing routine maintenance on equipment.
- familiar with and can operate controls from multiple manufactures
- Add coolant and oil when needed.
- Keep chips off ways and jaws.
- Maintain a clean and safe workspace.
- Ability to understand and follow applicable company and regulatory safety and environmental procedures.
- Ability to understand and correctly utilize appropriate PPE equipment as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by Supervisors/Management.
Essential Function of the Job:
- Ability to use and read precision measuring tools.
- Understand gear tooth terminology.
- Proficient in use of calipers and mics.
- Ability to read blueprints and proficient in measuring dimensions on blueprints.
- Understand and study blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, and sample parts to specify and calculate dimensions and characteristics of finished product.
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and Vernier calipers.
- Measure, examine, and test completed unit to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments such as micrometers.
- Measure, mark and scribe dimensions and reference points on material or work-piece as guides for subsequent machining.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma
- Previous experiences running CNC Gear Machining preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.