Safety Director - Physical Facilities
Within the Physical Facilities department at Purdue University, the operations safety director is the senior role responsible to improve employee safety results. The safety director, reports to the senior director of Facilities Operations and will work closely with peer directors, the University Office of Environmental Health and Public Safety (EHPS), and office personnel.
The director will be the lead member of the management team in implementing our safety management plan, developing tools to collect safety data and measure safety results, assessing our current practices, and ensuring an effective safety culture is in place. The safety director will work primarily with operations departments responsible for facility operations & maintenance, custodial services, grounds maintenance, transportation operations, utility production (industrial plant setting) and utility distribution. Will assess existing work practices, develop solutions targeted to improving safety results, and work alongside operational directors to implement solutions to operational procedures and protocols. Develop and implement practices aimed at identifying leading indicators of safety risks, pinpoint the best safety investment opportunities, and ensure compliance with all external and internal requirements.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Operations: Assess or develop strategies for others to assess existing operations; identify opportunities and requirements for safety related expenditures; develop and implement changes to reduce risk;
Data and metrics: Analyze safety data; identify new data capture opportunities; develop metrics; ensure consistency in safety data capture systems and methods.
Culture: Develop management tools to identify and communicate safety improvement opportunities; assist managers in developing activities to keep safety at the forefront within operations.
Process: Lead the department's safety management planning efforts; review existing safety related processes and how they are implemented within Physical Facilities (e.g., safety teams, injury reporting and investigations, near miss logging, etc.) and recommend changes.
Compliance: Ensure required OSHA training is conducted and tracked annually; ensure compliance with Purdue University’s Integrated Safety Plan requirements.
Training: Develop training programs; review existing operational training to ensure an aspect of safety is included.
- Bachelor’s degree in health and safety, industrial education or related area, preferred
- Seven years of experience in a comprehensive occupational safety program
- In lieu of degree, consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in industrial and operational safety
- Knowledge of OSHA standards, federal, state and local regulations
- Ability to interpret laws and policies
- Ability to make data-driven decisions
- Must have the ability to develop and maintain; effective working relationships, mutual trust and respect with others.
- Must have high ethical and professional behavior standards
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to achieve consensus and a record of enhancing the safety culture
- Strong commitment to customer service and Administrative Operations goals
- Knowledge of worker’s compensation benefits
- Experience using leading indicators and data to identify issues, tell the employee safety story, and measure performance
- Experience creating a safety culture of personal accountability is preferred
- CSP (Certified Safety Professional)
- CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist)
- SMS (Safety Management Specialist)
- OSHA 501/500 Trainer or certification by a nationally recognized organization
- All new hires will be expected to follow Protect Purdue guidelines
- To learn more about Purdue’s benefits summary
- Purdue will not sponsor an employment authorization for this position
- A Background Check will be required for employment in this position
- Will work 2nd and 3rd shift at times; based on departmental need
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contributions Immediately
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
All university employees are afforded a generous benefits package including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, and retirement contributions. As part of Purdue University’s expansive employee benefit package, the University is proud to offer its employees the opportunity to grow, learn, and advance by offering a tuition remission opportunity at both Purdue University and Purdue Global.